Tuesday 12 June 2012

Watermelon and halloumi salad.

This is another recipe I have taken from a BodyFit magazine. It sounded so tasty, and tasted tasty too! This salad is very summery and super refreshing. It's surprisingly filling too! It serves 4 people. I shared this salad with my mum and sister - my mum loved it, but my sister wasn't overly keen.. I thought it was really delicious! I am a sucker for watermelon - it's one of my favourite fruits! I used our home-grown wild mint from the garden for the meal - it tastes so much better than what you can buy in supermarkets! I changed up the original recipe a little though.. I used 800g of already prepared watermelon, 1 tbsp mint, 240g chickpeas, 125g halloumi, 1 tbsp olive oil and only 15g of pumpkin seeds. I mainly switched it up a bit for the fact it'd be a bit less calories, and also because some of the ingredients we didn't have enough of to use the whole amount the recipe asked for.. Using the altered recipe I used, each serving is approx. 302 kcal.

Ingredients:
- 1/2 watermelon, peeled & cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 16-20 black pitted olives
- 400g chickpeas, drained
- 200g reduced-fat halloumi
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heaped tbsp pumpkin seeds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lemon wedges, to serve

Method:
1. Mix together the watermelon, the mint, red onion, the black pitted olives and the chickpeas into a large bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper.
2. Cut the halloumi into 4 slices (or dice it, like I did) and place it on a foil-lined grill pan. Drizzle the halloumi with the olive oil and add a little bit of pepper. Cook under a preheated grill for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Removed from the grill and leave to cool for 2-3 minutes.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add the pumpkin seeds and dry-fry for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden.
4. Arrange the grilled halloumi on top of the salad. Scatter over the toasted pumpkin seeds. Drizzle over any remaining olive oil and serve immediately with the lemon wedges.

***This is NOT my recipe. I did not create this. I have copied this recipe directly from page 24 in Body Fit's free mini-magazine that came free in May 2012's issue.***


No comments:

Post a Comment