Sunday 10 March 2013

Tiger prawn Thai green curry.

I originally cooked this dish for my boyfriend, as part of a three course meal. As of March 4th this year we have been together for two years! This dish was the main course, and I made garlic and rosemary foceccia bread with dipping oil for the starter and I made blondies for dessert. It was all so delicious, but this curry was my favourite out of the three. When I made I before, I was following a recipe I found online. Although it was very tasty, it ended up being quite calorific. But I knew I really wanted to make it again, so I took it upon myself to create the same dish with just as much flavour, but with fewer calories, and I've done it. This dish tastes beautiful - better than any Indian dish I've ever tried at a restaurant. It tastes sweet, with subtle heat which isn't too overwhelming and has a citrusy kick from the lime and coriander. I've used jumbo tiger prawns in my recipe as they're pretty meaty and have a lovely texture. But if you're not into those, you can always use some little prawns, a meat such as chicken or even some Quorn or tofu for vegetarians. Just replace the jumbo tiger prawns with whatever you'd prefer and do everything in the same order (if using a raw fish/meat, please make sure it's cooked right through before serving).

This recipe serves 1 and contains approx. 473 kcal.

Ingredients:
- 3 raw jumbo tiger prawns, unshelled
- 1.5tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 100ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1tbsp clear honey
- juice of half a lime
- small handful of coriander, chopped
- 50g (uncooked) wholegrain basmati rice
- red chilli, thinly sliced, to garnish (optional)

Method:
1. In a bowl (or, if big enough, use the jug you measured the coconut milk in) place in the coconut milk, honey, curry paste and lime juice, and mix it all together well.

2. Place the raw prawns into a small shallow bowl. Pour over the curry paste sauce mixture, and make sure it covers them completely. Leave to soak for 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, get a small saucepan, fill it with about 500ml water and place it on a high heat. Bring the water to boil. Place in the uncooked rice and turn the heat down to medium. Leave to cook for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.


4. Once the prawns have finished soaking in the sauce, pour it all into a saucepan and place it on a medium heat. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes, until the prawns are cooked through (they will turn from grey to bright pink) and the sauce has thickened slightly. Now stir in the coriander, and turn the heat off.

5. Once the rice has cooked, drain it and place on a hot plate. Then pour on the cooked prawns and thickened sauce, either beside or over the top of the rice. If using, place some very thin slices of chilli on top for some fancy-looking garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment