Tuesday 13 August 2013

Race For Life 2013 - 5km.


This year, July 14th, I took part in my local 5km Race For Life, to raise money for Cancer Research UK. As always, it was a great turn out and Hudson's Field was a sea of pink! I was number 436. The message on my back was "I race for life for everyone affected by cancer. (Laura's Aunty Barb & Aunty Val)". I offered to add my friend, Laura's, Aunties on my sign as she was unable to run the RFL herself this year.

I was really hoping to beat my personal best time that I achieved last year (32 minutes, 29 seconds), but I didn't quite manage it. I arrived a couple of minutes late and slightly hungover (went to a birthday party the night before) so it was hard to keep an eye on my start time. But my overall time was around 37ish minutes, I think. Of course I'm a little disappointed, but I guess it's not too bad considering I ran/jogged alone this year and the weather was beyond scorching! I had little heat blisters all over my shoulders and almost collapsed in a heap of exhaustion after I crossed the finish line. I could hardly stand up! I didn't manage to run/jog the whole thing without stopping this year, but I was kind of expecting that with the heat.

Although I didn't beat my personal best time for completing the RFL, I beat my personal best on how much sponsorship I've ever raised. Most years I only manage to raise about £20-30, but this year I raised a total of £65! Makes me happy that I've raised that much money for such a great, well known charity.

Well done to everybody who took part in the Race For Life this year! Same again next year? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment